Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dancing with Latoya.

I'm an avid TV watcher, and I'm not afraid to say it. Nothing annoys me more (that's a lie) than those smug individuals who, at the mention of television, give major stinkface and scoff, "Oh, I don't even own a TV." Well good for you, I now have no interest in talking to you and I say goodday.

Granted, there is some appallingly bad programming out there (I'm talking to you CBS), but there's also some gems, and I don't appreciate the judgey judging me for loving Tabitha's Salon Makeover. You don't even own a TV, so how do you know!?!

Recently a co-worker declared to me "I don't watch TV because it's made for people who are dumber than I am," but then preceded to rant about how awesome True Blood is. I guess she meant to say, "I'm a liar," to which I would agree.

Moving on. I haven't yet watched last-night's episode of Dancing With the Stars (I believe it's the semi-finale?), so I can't guarantee that this natural phenomenon occurred yet again. But by far this is my favorite part of the show:
latoya
Yes, that's Latoya Jackson in the middle (or at least her robot), and no, I have no idea why she's there. Every week on this season of Dancing with the Stars, Latoya and sometimes Jermaine have inexplicably been in the audience. At some point during the show, the camera would pause on their melting faces and Jermaine's painted-on hair, mention their names and move on. This always simultaneously confused and delighted me.

Why are they there? Is it because they're related to a legendary dancer who tragically passed away? It certainly isn't a matter of being relevant, although they are sort of relevant by association. True, the majority of the "stars" on DWTS are not household names, but at least they've accomplished something to get them on the show. To me, Latoya is only really famous for her last name, her (ugh) Playboy shoots and her 2007 VH1 celebreality show Armed & Famous:
Regardless of that hot mess, does it really justify a season-long run as an audience member (for which I'm SURE she's getting paid)? And why do I care so much about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment