Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lil' Exchanges

(a.k.a. Better Late Than Never)A few Saturdays ago I was helping out at San Francisco Center for the Book's 5th Annual Roadworks event, taking orders at the Lil' Lino table. For those unfamiliar with SFCB or its events, Roadworks is a huge fundraiser for the center, and probably their most popular. They take over a block of Potrero Hill, bust out the steam roller, and make some huge prints from linoleum blocks carved by local artists. Good times!

Even though I've been volunteering for SFCB for a few years now (that's where all the printing for Nibby is done), this was my very first Roadworks.
Regarding the Lil' Lino table: there was nothing little about it. Not only were large-scale prints made, but there were 12"x12" (or something) prints carved by a larger pool of artists. We were selling them for $40 each—a great price for a limited edition print (printed by a steam roller, no less!). From my observations, they were selling like hot cakes. I believe they're available on SFCB's Etsy shop if you're interested.


All in all, I had a great time, and only one awkward exchange with someone (a silkscreen vendor). Observe:

S (me): Hi, I'd like to buy this poster, but I left my wallet at my table.
V(endor): Oooh! Wanna trade?
S: You mean... trade money for poster?
V: Uh no, what are you selling?
S: Right! Oh yeah, nothing of my own.

No joke. I thought he was being coy. This may boil down to my self-esteem level, I mean, how could I possibly have a table of my own?! It's not a ridiculous assumption, but not just yet. I'll be there next year, buddy.

Some of my favorite lil' linos from the day (titles are unknown, names of artists may be incorrect, as there was some confusion in the labeling system):

SCHUYLAR FINK

BRIGID BROWN


LINDSAY CRIMMING

The large prints (sadly, I didn't get any photos of them) were later auctioned off for about $600 each. Such a great way to support the center and local artists. Roadworks 2010, ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment