Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fortified.

Even though I'm a member of SFMOMA, I hadn't been paying attention to the exhibitions, and it took two recommendations from friends and the pressure of the final show date to get it together and see the William Kentridge exhibit. As I entered the show, I immediately felt a wave of regret, knowing that I would need at least five more days to absorb the breathtaking work; a combination of drawings, paintings, video installations, an opera, and a mechanical puppet show that left me speechless. The work was so accessible, and soulful, and heavy, and just exquisite. As a woman who sat at my table in the museum cafe said, "We are now fortified."

Truly.

I particularly loved his work on book pages, which is something that I've been working with as well, and hope to integrate into the packaging of Nibby. Here are some highlights (I'll have more once I get the exhibition catalog):



I would advise everyone I know to run and see the show, but Sunday was sadly the last day.

No comments:

Post a Comment