Wednesday, September 14, 2011

experiments in printing ::: the split fountain

As of late I've only been interested in printing improvisationally. That is, I don't really plan ahead and everything from the design to color, just emerges on-press. I'm pretty sure it's a response to art school (still), which required precision and measuring. Now I just can't bare to do such a thing, and I often go to press with nothing but some blank paper and a notion. This process has proven to be successful in many cases, revealing some new techniques and tricks to add to my repertoire.

One of which is the good ol' fashion split fountain (or rainbow roll), which is the method of putting two ink colors on press at the same time. The technique can easily look ho-hum and overdone, but I've managed to get lucky with some of my color combinations, and I think I've really honed my split fountain skills. As you peruse the new line of cards by Nibby Press, you'll immediately see how obsessive I've become with the technique.

It all started with my 'Hubble' collection. Inspired by a bathing suit I slapped gunmetal gray on press with a yellowey chartreuse. It was breathtaking, and I rerouted Nibby Press' mission. Split fountain, ho!

A sampling of our split fountain work:

tequilla_split.jpg
Tequila Sunrise split
cl-tequilla_card.jpg
Tequila Sunrise card

tourmaline_split.jpg
Tourmaline split
cl-tourmaline_book.jpg
Tourmaline card

gray-blue_split.jpg
Nibby Press business card split
nibbybc-grbl-split.jpg
Our business card!

I had a fun time printing our business cards! It was an idea that I wasn't sure would work, but I'm pleased with the results of the fine detail, and the color shift. The idea will evolve with each new run of cards, and I'll refine coverage and impression and maybe change color. It's all very experimental.

::: end transmission:::

No comments:

Post a Comment