Friday, July 15, 2011

day six // Just in time.

Stefan Sagmeister, one of my design heros, gave a most perfect speech at the Ted Conference in 2009 about the necessity of taking a sabbatical. He runs a serious design firm, highly sucessful, but he routinely closes the studio every 7 seven years for one whole year. I know, it seems a little Eat Pray Love of him (and he DID go to Bali), but it was all in the name of experimentation and discovery and future productivity. That's exactly where I'm at. And I've always wanted to go to Bali.



I happen to catch this just a few days ago, when I myself began an adventure of a 30 day-sabbatical from my day job to focus on Nibby Press. My purpose in these next 30 days are quite similar to Sagmeister's, but unfortunately I don't yet have his luxuries. He has one year in Bali, I have just 30 days in California. Each day off is precious, and somewhat of a risk, but watching this speech validates my instincts. I feel like I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks Stefan.


No comments:

Post a Comment