Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Work: B-I-N-G-O.

My mother is turning sixty this year, and we're throwing her a big party in Oroville, my hometown. My mom is so many things: a teacher, a quilter, a guitarist, hilarious. At first it was a lot of pressure, I mean how do I distill the essence of my mother and the way I feel about her in one little invitation? Once I calmed down, I decided to have a little fun with it.

My intention was to create a quilted look with the background pattern, and added just a hint of yellow and a lot of transparent white. On the backside of the invite, I mounted a page of family photos, which was different on each invite. Included in the invitation suite is a little "Practice Test" with trivia questions that will come in handy for a game at the party.

My sister and I had such a delightful time coming up with the questions—it's moments like these that I'm so grateful to be in this field. I'm so happy that I could do this for my mommy dearest. Love you!

2 comments: